13.4.09

First Amendment Test



Wow...I received a 19 out of 30 possible correct answers! Oh no!
That is shocking to me because even though we covered basically every topic in class I was still very confused about my rights. I think that I had put more faith in the First Amendment then I should have. I learned that I can still be degraded verbally about my gender and ethnicity and that the harsh words used against me are protected under the United States Constitution. I really enjoy the freedom I receive here being a United States citizen from birth. But this type of quiz makes me wonder, how much is too much? I am 18 years old and now just beginning to comprehend how I can use my freedoms and how they can be used against me. I feel like I should have had a much better understanding of these rights before I moved away from or. Or even before I began high school for that matter. If I have children in the U.S. I want to give them these facts a lot earlier then I knew about them.

Key
"16 to 20: Well the good news is that you don't need to pass a test or obtain a license to use the First Amendment. Still, we hope you'll spend a bit more time looking into the First Amendment's essential freedoms and how they apply. C'mon -- it's only 45 words!"

1 comment: